accountants in SpainBy Sara Duarte, Accountant in Marbella, tax advisor in Spain.

A non resident in Spain might at some point (due to a specific transaction) be requested by the authorities, such as Spanish Inland Revenue, notary, etc, to demonstrate that they are in fact Non Resident in Spain.  In order to do so, you will need to request and obtain a certificate issued by the Tax authorities (Inland Revenue) from your country of residency stating that you are resident on that country.

In the event that you have been a Resident in Spain and you move your tax residency to another country, you will need to unsubscribe from the Spanish Tax system (Inland Revenue in Spain) and, in order to do so, you will need to present a certificate from your new country of Residency as stated above.  In other words, if you are presently fiscal resident in Spain and you wish to become fiscal resident in another EU country you need to proceed with the following steps:

  • Register yourself at the corresponding Town Hall of the other EU country as resident. In some EU countries you would need to inform the corresponding Inland Revenue that you have become fiscal resident showing the corresponding certificate issued by the local Town Hall.
  • Once completed the above, you should travel again to Spain, contact the local SpanishTown Hall to unsubscribe from the same.
  • Fulfil and present a Spanish tax declaration at the Spanish Inland Revenue attaching original and translated certification mentioned in the first point.
  • Approach the Spanish police station in order and return the corresponding “resident certificate” cancelling your Spanish residency.
  • Inform all financial entities, that your fiscal residency and address has been changed.

Of course, the process above mentioned may be considered as a hassle but using the services of the Multilingual law firm of Arcos & Lamers Asociados, your accountants in Marbella and tax advisors in Spain,  will ease the whole process for you.

Please bear in mind, that if you have already been confirmed as resident in Spain for more than 183 days on the tax period where the change of residency has taken place you will still be considered and liable to declare your tax obligations in Spain for that year.

There are other situations where you might be requested to accredit your non residency status this could be when signing a transaction before a Public Notary in Spain such a purchase or sale of a real estate ….

The period of validity of those certificates is of one year.

Do not hesitate to contact now one of the professional and registered lawyers and accountants of Arcos & Lamers Asociados.

Sara Duarte Davidson, accountant in Marbella.

Marbella, October 2013


  • Wim Lamers
  • Accountant Marbella, Emigration, Emigration to Spain, Fiscal advisers Marbella, Residency, Tax law, Tax Planning,

Share this story