fiscal advisors marbellaOther Services of multi-language Spanish law firm Arcos & Lamers Asociados

Daily tasks that can often be easily resolved in your home country, by a visit to the local office or a quick telephone call, can appear a lot more complicated in Spain.  Sometimes even speaking Spanish fluently does not make it any easier to go through the Spanish bureaucracy. At Arcos & Lamers Asociados, all members of staff speak several languages such as Spanish, English, Dutch, German and French. Our experienced staff, that is showing Efficiency & Effectiveness, Integrity, Honesty & Promptness, can turn what may at first appear as a mountain into a small molehill, helping you not only with the most complex Spanish legal and tax issues but as well to assist you in the basic bureaucratic issues.

To put your mind at rest, we assist you in a fast and efficient manner in the following matters:

1)Contracting of supplies for your property in Spain.

2)Registration to the Census of taxpayers.

3)Payment and filing of your taxes.

4)NIE Application.

Application for NIE & Residency status certifications. Registration at Town Halls (empadronamientos) and Inland Revenue

The Nie number that appears at the mentioned certificate is a Spanish Fiscal Identification for non Spanish nationals (“Real Decreto 557/2011, de 20 de abril, por el que se aprueba el Reglamento de la Ley Orgánica 4/2000, sobre derechos y libertades de los extranjeros en España y su integración social”). This certification does not show or proof whether you are Spanish tax resident or non Tax Resident and is only a number that identifies you as an individual in front of National, regional or local Spanish Inland Revenue.

A Spanish NIE number is required if you wish to carry out administrative procedures such as purchasing a vehicle in Spain,  opening a Spanish bank account,  setting up a mobile phone contract in Spain,  purchase of a property, acceptance of Inheritance of any asset in Spain, etc. As per changes in the law (article 206 “Real Decreto 557/2011), to apply for a NIE certificate in Spain, you may make the application personally at the corresponding police station or give the corresponding Power of Attorney to your Spanish Lawyer. In addition, NIE numbers may still also be applied for at any Spanish Consulate or Embassy, in your home country, although this process will take longer, usually between 3 and 4 months, which will delay any planned property completion.  In the event that you are planning to buy property in Spain, you will now need to allocate extra time for a NIE application appointment, especially if you are scheduling an inspection trip to Spain.

Of course, the professional and efficient staff of the Spanish law firm Arcos and Lamers Asociados will be pleased to assist you with the above mentioned procedure by means of preparing all the above mentioned documentation, payment of stamp duty, etc, so that you have to be present at the time of showing your original passport to the official of the police station only. Of course we will arrange to collect the original NIE number certificate on your behalf the week after the application and send you a copy by e-mail.

Declarations to Spanish Inland Revenue

As the NIE number is being granted at the local National Spanish Police station, still Inland Revenue is not aware that this number exists as there is no automatic communication yet between the Police Station and Inland Revenue. Therefore, once obtained the NIE number and prior to proceed with the payment of any National or Regional Spanish Tax it is compulsory to pass by the local National Inland Revenue office in order to register the already obtained NIE number at Inland Revenue. In order to register the same, an application form has to be fulfilled and presented together with the original NIE number certificate.

In the event you have decided to settle in Spain and becoming fiscal resident in Spain, it would be advisable to obtain in addition, this time again at the local National Police Station (Dirección General de la Policía y de la Guardia Civil), a certification that shows the residence status of your-self in Spain. Presently some Spanish authorities consider that although the NIE number is fixed, the certification where the NIE number is shown is expiring after 3 months of the its issued dated. In this case, once obtained previous mentioned certifications it would be compulsory to register your self at the local town hall.

Registration at local town hall in Spain.

At the town hall you should show a proof that you are paying a utility bill in Spain issued in your name,  such us electricity, water or community fees bill.  In general,  they will be asking for a proof of your new address in Spain. A purchase Title Deed or rental contract and an electricity- water supply bill issued on your behalf and showing your new Spanish address, could be considered as a proof. Please note that is advisable to check first with the corresponding town hall the exact documentation requested as the same may vary from one Town Hall to another.

Arcos & Lamers Asociados.

NOTE: The above guide-lines is solely for information purposes and not legally binding as general practice, law and requirements may change as from the date of drafting the above mentioned guide. The same or part of the contents of the same should not be reproduced, nor given to third parties, without the authorization of Arcos & Lamers Asociados, a Spanish law firm located in Marbella, from where services throughout Spain are developed. Spanish tax planners that offer among other services, Spanish fiscal, legal and accounting advice, advice on purchase and sales of Spanish property, Inheritance procedures in Spain,  preparation of contracts, bankruptcy proceedings, procedural law, labour advice, advise with regards to a Will in Spain, targeted to European citizens living or active at the Costa del Sol.

Please do not hesitate to contact the Spanish legal advise firm Arcos & Lamers Asociados, your solicitors in Spain, E-mail:info@arcos-lamersasociados.com tel:+34952775010 in the event you need any further information or assistance towards the application of the mentioned NIE number, registration of NIE, number at Inland Revenue, granting and obtaining of Certification showing your residence status and or registration al local town hall.